On June 20th, 2020 over 50 registered participants plus their social media followers joined Sunshine online for a splashing good time in support of life-changing dreams for kids living with severe physical disabilities or life-threatening illnesses.
Participants who raised over $300 were given a series of challenges to complete and share via video or photos on Sunshine’s social media page. Activities ranged from dressing in a costume to a water-toss and dance-off that could be completed in any way from anywhere. Some favourites were “Shark Nathan” and his creative backyard adventures and everyone surprising other people with a surprise soak down.
This event virtually united co-workers, friends, and families of all ages and abilities from across Canada to fundraise and celebrate. Close to $33,000 was raised to help Sunshine expand our programs and serve even more vulnerable kids who are facing greater mental health challenges and further isolation due to the recent pandemic. For many of these kids, a Sunshine Dream is the only hopeful thing they have and plays an essential role in their health management.
With your support, some of the dreams we’re working right now include a customized bike to help connect a child with their neighbours and friends, specialized tech gear to connect with friends and online communities, and adapted camping equipment to allow family time in the soon-to-be-open parks this summer.
A big congratulations to this year’s top fundraisers and award winners:
- Tim Brown, winner of The Great Canadian Experience
- Nancy Sutherland
- James Cassidy
- Best Photo: Neil McEachrane from The Windsor Police
- Best Video: Bobbi-Jo Gardiner of St. Thomas
- Team Captain Award: Hannah Roukema who had the largest team of 9 people.
- Participation Draw (10 winners): Philip DeSouza, Tisha Rattos, Brian Henderson, Sheila Harrison, Jen Stead, Steve Sauve, Lori White, Emma Tarrataca, Nathan Manners, Catherine Parsons Dhamjia.
- Mystery Box Draw: Nancy Stead
The Great Canadian Splash For Kids 2020 was made possible with sponsorship by:
Windley Ely, RBC Wealth Management, C&H Fire Suppression Systems, VersaBank, and 3M Canada